Friday, April 18, 2014

Spiritual Band-aids for Life's Boo-Boo's



My daughter has this thing for band-aids. Honestly, it's more like an obsession. In her mind, band-aids and mama's kisses will fix every ailment known to man. She is often covered in anywhere from 2 to 5 band-aids. You and I both know that a cartoon covered bandage isn't going to heal her cuts, scrapes and blisters. The reality is that once they are covered in something fun and colorful she is able to distract herself from the pain but no healing actually occurs from covering up her "owies" and "boo-boo's."

This got me to thinking about how many times I have put a "band-aid" on the problems in my life and expected that to take away the hurt. Or maybe I just hoped that by not having to look at my problems I could avoid the pain and grief associated with them. The truth is that distraction and busyness don't ever lead to any lasting relief. 

God doesn't want us to simply cover up our wounds and walk around covered in bandages. He wants to heal us.


But God doesn't want us to simply cover up our wounds and walk around covered in bandages. He wants to heal us. He wants to be our Jehovah Rapha - The Lord our Healer. There is something to be said about coming before God and exposing our raw, injured hearts. It's usually not pretty. It's often painful. But it's never fruitless. 

And it is only then that true healing can occur. 

Pin it: 


1 comment:

  1. So true. I would rather limp around than take the time to heal. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete