Thursday, April 24, 2014

Not a Fight

Love Is Not a Fight But It's Something Worth Fighting For | Dandelion & Daffodil

Today I celebrate 4 years of marriage to my husband. I can't say that these have been 4 perfectly, wonderful years. Honestly, they have been the hardest years of my life. We have gone through a lot of dark places. We have faced the death of a parent and a grandparent. We have had 2 incredibly sleep-deprived, stressful years since our daughter was born. We have fought the dark and scary places that resulted from postpartum depression. We have struggled with the physical pain and emotional ups and downs of this second pregnancy. We have stressed about living arrangements, finances and parenting. 


I wish I could say that I believe the hard times are behind us but I can't. Real life is hard. Following Christ is hard. And seeking to put him as the center of your marriage is really hard. 

I'm reminded of a song by Warren Barfield, "Not a fight." In the song he compares marriage to a house that we enter into and commit to never leave. Trials will certainly come and the house will be hit with hurricane force winds. The house (marriage) is our safety from the storms of life. It is our peace and security. "And if we try to leave, may God send angels to guard the door. No, love is not a fight but it's something worth fighting for." 

I choose to lock the door behind me and throw away the key. I choose to be intentional in loving my husband and my family. I choose to trust that God's hand is on our marriage - guarding and protecting us. I choose to fight. 


"Not a fight"
 by Warren Barfield


Love is not a place
To come and go as we please

It's a house we enter in
Then commit to never leave



So lock the door behind you
Throw away the key
We'll work it out together
Let it bring us to our knees



Chorus:
Love is a shelter in a raging storm
Love is peace in the middle of a war
And if we try to leave, may God send angels to guard the door
No, love is not a fight but it's something worth fighting for



To some, love is a word
That they can fall into
But when they're falling out
Keeping that word is hard to do



Chorus:
Love is a shelter in a raging storm
Love is peace in the middle of a war
And if we try to leave, may God send angels to guard the door
No, love is not a fight but it's something worth fighting for



Love will come to save us
If we'll only call
He will ask nothing from us
But demand we give our all



Chorus:
Love is a shelter in a raging storm
Love is peace in the middle of a war
And if we try to leave, may God send angels to guard the door
No, love is not a fight but it's something worth fighting for



I will fight for you
Would you fight for me?
It's worth fighting for

1 comment:

  1. Love that song. Congrats on making it this far...yes, marriage is tough! And I'm only 2 years ahead of you. :) Thank goodness we have Jesus!

    ReplyDelete