Monday, March 18, 2013

CKC Sew-Along Days 3-4

I have not been a very good member of this Sew-Along. I was excited and ready to go last week - you know, before I actually had to do anything but pick out my fabric. But now reality has set in, or more specifically the realization that I have to ruffle my ruffle fabric.

Saturday's steps were super easy and I knocked them out in about 5 minutes. I was happy to stop there, step back and look at my progress. Ok, not so much progress but I like to enjoy the little things.

The fabulous thing about working with knits is that they don't fray. For this reason, I didn't have to hem my ruffle fabric. Yay! Got to sit that step out on Sunday. But that meant those darn ruffles were just waiting for me Monday morning.

I was not even going to attempt to hand gather these ruffles (all 5 yards of them) and I was scared to death of machine gathering so I pulled out my handy dandy ruffle foot. Do you have one of these? It's insanely intimidating to look at but I love the results I get when I actually use it. I discovered that there is in fact a secret to using this foot if you don't want to rely on trial and error. You see, the Scientific Seamstress has put together a wonderful, thorough guide on the ruffle foot called "The Ruffler...Unruffled." But what I discovered when I read through it was that there are numbers and math involved and my head started to hurt. I'll save that for another day. Today I'm ruffling knits and I knew that with the stretchiness of this fabric, I didn't need to be exact.



I set my stitch length at the default 5.5 and the foot on the 6 which means it will gather the fabric every 6 stitches. I ran my fabric through and while it did ruffle, it just didn't wow me. I knocked my stitch length down to about 4 and look at these lovelies! I can't get enough of them. I want to ruffle all my ruffle fabric!

The last step was hemming by top skirt and I'm all caught up. Until tomorrow.





No comments:

Post a Comment